Avoid hosting of illegal material

There are (to my knowledge) no respected/trusted nodes in IPFS. I think every user’s node will by default trust all the nodes around it. So if they want to use Tor, which I’m against as well, then it would have to work without the trust aspect.

But maybe there’s a solution in this “local network” thing? When I connect to a VPN, I’ll first receive a VPN address like 10.10.47.178. Other users who connect to that VPN server, are in principle accessible via that VPN server’s subnet. I had a VPN provider once who forgot to block local protocols like AFP, and I could actually look into some of the users’ public folders, those who hadn’t disabled Local Filesharing. But maybe there’s a similar way to do that with IPFS, i.e. all nodes form one big ad-hoc “local network”, and then they just talk locally, and when you try to scan any given user, you just get a (virtual) local address. Don’t know if that’s possible without an actual server, though.

There are also some ideas on data exchange without revealing any IP address here: