With the release of Release v0.14.0 · ipfs/kubo · GitHub
- It’s now possible to point Kubo at any reframe server, e.g.
- It’s currently mostly useful for fetching content (there’s no way to do delegated publishing yet propose provide messages in reframe by willscott · Pull Request #285 · ipfs/specs · GitHub)
- Scaling a larger IPFS architecture by splitting responsibilities, e.g. running two accelerated DHT clients kubo nodes and delegating content routing request from other nodes to them,
- Another way to look at the previous point: you can break your gateway into microservices, i.e., separate DHT fetching.
- js-ipfs doesn’t support Reframe yet
- Reframe open the window to routing from the browser with Reframe and content retrieval with Bitswap over WSS
- No content routing in the browser currently except for the Legacy Delgated Routing which relies on the Kubo RPC API).
- In the future, along with WebTransport the browser story is even better as it lowers the barrier to entry for Kubo nodes to communicate with browsers directly (no need for a TLS certificate and PKI). This would enable Reframe content routing and WebTransport content retrieval.
What are your thoughts? Have I missed anything?