What motivates people to use IPFS for large volumes of data?

Can the video website like bilibili youtube save their videos on the ipfs network at a lower cost?

• Content Addressing
    If your data is important to you, itā€™s the only way to go.
  • Partition tolerance
    It is essential for us at actyx.io that all core features (IPFS, IPNS, pubsub) are partition tolerant. I hope this remains this way. E.g. attempts to use some kind of traditional blockchain for IPNS would be very unwelcome for us.
  • Small footprint
    We are running ipfs on industrial versions of raspberry pi, as well as industrial android tablets, so we require it to work on a small footprint. Of course it should also be able to take advantage of more capable machines.
  • NAT traversal and tolerance of obscure network topologies
    Ipfs currently does a reasonable effort to traverse NATs and work under less than ideal conditions WRT connectivity. Itā€™s not perfect and could definitely be expanded on (e.g. dual NAT, android P2P wifi support). Ideally, if there is any way to get data from one device to another, IPFS should find this way.
  • Single device operation
    This currently does not work. E.g. it is not possible to publish to IPNS when a device is not connected to any peers, which is fairly common for mobile devices.
3 Likes

We are interested in lots of different kinds of large data volumes because we work in Video Production. One of the biggest problems we face in our everyday work environments is the crashing of hard-drives. Furthermore, direct collaboration during the creative process (even in the same room) is often challenged by poor uplinks and varied partition formats of drives. Versioning is very important in this process, and a final issue is the availability of finished media assets.

IPFS in its ideal state would help us to solve all of these problems.

1 Like

What I love about IPFS is that, as long as you have 2 nodes with the same data, you donā€™t need complex backup systems. One peer failed, okay, the same hash is in the other peer.

So simple, no need to have any backup management programs or redirections, not even a person watching out.

You can even have those 2 nodes in different buildings, even in different countries, they donā€™t even need to be interconnected or coordinated in any form to realize ā€œone failed so the other must step upfrontā€. They donā€™t even have to know the other exists.

Your tech support can be busy with something else and not need to rush to restore some interconnected system between backups. The networkā€™s got your back.

And when you get to repair your original computer, you can restore the whole backup network with a couple commands, in just a minute!

1: It makes backing up information (and keeping access to it) much more simple (and less stressing).
2: 0% downtime all year round for websites. No hosting company can guarantee you that nowadays, IPFS can.

On IPFS, only the apocalypse could bring down your sites lmao :joy:

1 Like

And if the apocalypse comes (barring a global EMP storm) with cluster peers you know that rebuilding the planet will be easier! :wink:

1 Like

LMAOOO hahahahahahaahh

Seriously, this is something that I have included in our whitepaper. What do people want to do if the world ends? Watch movies. This is one of the added benefits of including the sneakernet approach where we leverage the inherent mobility of our project stakeholders to maximize cluster saturation during moments of massive ingest that normally cripples consumer uplinks.We call it the SNEAKERBOX and it is a custom live UbuntuDistro on an external HDD with persistence AND an IPFS partition.

And before someone says: If the world ends there wonā€™t be any electricity or internet, then I have to categorically disagree. The second thing I will build is a local network after I have a sustainable power supply for my community. Then we build mesh networks.

1 Like

now that you mention it, on IPFS it could be really easy for a country under a natural disaster (or even a war, where computers might be seized) to keep their informational infrastructure ā€œup and runningā€ 24/7 like nothing is happening.

This, along with some specialized DAPP, could help countries give medical assistance to huge quantities of refugees like nothing happent to its networks (education, healthcareā€¦), as long as one node is in a safe place, the whole data of the country could be not only safe, but still usable like nothing happent.

The DAPP function would be just an interface for public servants to access to their usual programs/functions/data. and since the DAPP could be stored somewhere else, theyā€™d just need a laptop to access the full functionality and paperwork of their profession.

This would, for example, allow to a doctor in a refugee camp in Africa access to their patients medical records, even if a war or natural disaster has destroyed the hospital where those were kept (which is unfortunately common in those situations).

The records could be safely stored outside the country even, allowing doctors and other public workers to work even in worst case scenarios.

This idea could have huge pottential for both governments, public organisms and NGOs, it would give a lot of resistance and agility to workers in disaster situations.

2 Likes

You could even make a ā€œportable educational systemā€ if you might. Just allowing the teacher in a refugee camp to access the class materials, exams, students IDs and gradesā€¦ could help the teacher keep with his/her classes and continue a course like nothing is happening outside. Schooling children according to their courses, administering the official examinations and even uploading official qualifications and grades of each student to the ā€œnational education systemā€, even if the world is falling apart outside of the tent.

It would allow kids to continue their education, and give them a sense of normality.
Help doctors and nurses access medical records and following patientsā€™ cases.
Track family members that have been separated, so they can reunite.

all it would need would be the DAPP, internet connection and the patient remembering some official ID numberā€¦

But I think Iā€™m deviating the conversation, so I will stop here. But hey, this thing has lots of pottential for emergency situationsā€¦

1 Like

I think it is really important to efficiently recover from disasters, and I know that medical assistance and education are priorities in crises; but I also firmly believe that it is important to offer ā€œcultural reliefā€ too. Idle hands get in trouble, especially if there isnā€™t anything else to do / if one canā€™t leave the refugee center. Being creative and enjoying the fruits of cultural endeavor are what make us human. Medicine just keeps us alive and education, well I wonā€™t even go thereā€¦

So, in my opinion, cultural activity is super important to restore as soon as possible. Fix what you can and then make more short films. :smiley:

2 Likes

Optimally thereā€™s zero practical distance between these ā€œeducationalā€ and ā€œculturalā€ informational use cases. One example is our past partner I mentioned above Internet-In-A-Box, which enables offline or local-only mesh access to compressed caches of free Internet resources. One of the ā€œeducationalā€ resources included is a large collection of Khan Academy videos. There are other online video based courses, and I know of many people who watch them for fun, just like you might joyfully partake in any other nonfiction media or documentaries.

Preferably these compressed offline-capable caches would utilize some kind of binary DVCS system for periodic updates and synchronization, and allow individuals and groups to decide which resources they personally find important for both offline and emergency use cases. This will create a natural redundancy and prioritization in aggregate for disaster scenarios, which exceeds the resource choice optimization that any one centralized institution can synthetically provide.

2 Likes

Got two factors when evaluating!
Cost: Open-Source project, can leverage a multitude of infrastructures, OS agonistic
Support: Who do you call when someone wins the lottery!?

Even though these factors have been loosely mentionedā€¦

Iā€™ve been using it to host videos that youtube deletes because of censorship. I just want to watch Alex Jones while coding or gaming, is that too much to ask? Its great that all these programmers are out there trying to save the world and make the world such a better place! I feel like that never happens though. I feel like all of our ideas get co-opted by the governments and the powers that be or by the sjw nazis and get turned into our own chains of enslavement. I use ipfs because its shows legit promise at defeating the evil fucks that run the internet. Bittorrent has yet to be stopped, the tech behind github aint going anywhere, ipfs becoming the new internet is inevitable. I use ipfs because Im sick of censorship, sick of people telling me what to think, and sick of people trying to control everyoneā€™s lives.