Few questions about IPFS

After reading about IPFS and do few examples about it. I’m thinking of few questions, if anyone read my post and know answer, plz explain me, you’re doing good thing :wink:

1. When I upload my file to IPFS, it will be stored somewhere in some nodes. But if I want to download my file, at least one of those nodes has to be online right?
  2. When a file upload to IPFS, supposed it uploaded to IPFS and then IPFS delivers it to my computer (whole file or few blocks of it), so this process is automatically? Even when I don’t give it permission?
  3. Is the process of delivery file into IPFS network automatic, can I affect it to deliver to some of specific nodes?

Thank you for reading and answering my questions! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am also new to IPFS. So trying :slight_smile:

1. When I upload my file to IPFS, it will be stored somewhere in some nodes. But if I want to download my file, at least one of those nodes has to be online right?

I think it stores on your own node only. it is downloaded to another node upon accessing.

I maybe wrong though …

1 Like

This is correct. Adding a file to IPFS just adds it to your local store and tells the network that you have it. Your node is the one that has to be online for anyone to get it (at least the first time).

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the content is then cached in the gateway nodes until garbage collected.