How many ipns hashes can I have?

I think I grasp the idea that ipns allows me to assign different hashes to my peer id, thereby allowing me to have a stable address for mutable content.

However, since I only have one peer id, does this mean I can only have one stable address?

Since I might maintain several blogs, sites, or projects for which I would like to assign a fixed hash for changing content, I would like to be able to have access to more than one such address.

More abstractly:

As mentioned here with (this could be in the hundreds of thousands). But in such a case, would I need to create a new node for each file? Is it possible to create a more lightweight solution? I could imagine a simple key value pair object for every file assigned to a fixed hash or file name. Such a file would then simply list chronologically all the content addressable hashes for that file. (I guess that basically a directory, that lists the hashes of the versions of that file within it.) This would allow me to easily get the most up to date hash for a given file. (Maybe this is just GIT and I need more clarity on how IPFS and GIT can work together).

In general, I think content addressable files are really important and I love that about IPFS. But often, I’m not only interested in the exact content of a file. Instead, I’m also interested in targeting an idea that a file claims to represent in some way. In such a case, I want to be able to target that idea and get the most up-to-date content that represents that idea.

I’m definitely still learning, so apologies if I’m missing something basic.

Take a look at ipfs name publish and ipfs key gen

https://ipfs.io/docs/commands/#ipfs-name-publish

https://ipfs.io/docs/commands/#ipfs-key-gen

You can create (and publish to) as many new keys (ipns hashes) as you like, all different from your PeerID, i.e. (in key terms) different from “self”.

I suggest—at least that’s what I would do—to leave your PeerID alone (so to speak) and create a new key for every website you create, every blog, every structured file share, every client you provide files etc. But you don’t need different nodes, only different keys coming from the same node.

I’m just wondering—and I haven’t seen this answered—if there’s a way (probably a hacker’s way) to tell which node (i.e. which PeerID) originally published a specific non-PeerID ipns hash.

2 Likes

No, theres no way to do this (unless you do some sort of traffic analysis, and even at that it would be a guess)

Awesome. Thanks. I knew I was missing something.