How to learn js-ipfs without filling the network with garbage

I’m not sure I understand how it works, in any case I am new to this world and I would like to know if there is a way to pin an image in “private” from js (maybe creating a private network?) I know it may seem strange , but I want to understand how to ‘upload’ files to ipfs using js. At the moment I haven’t done any tests because I don’t want to fill ipfs with test images.

You can fill the network with garbage we don’t care.

IPFS do not store your files on the machine of others.

When you upload a file to IPFS you just upload it to your local node, then if other people browse it or “pin” your files, they will download it and create a replication (the difference is that if I just browse your file is in temporary cache and will be removed when IPFS run out of disk space, pinned files are not removed by garbage collection).

The only consideration is if you use some pinning services.
For example if you use web3.storage I don’t think they would like if people just uploaded random data because web3.storage host the data for you. In that case it’s fine, learning is a valid reason to upload stuff, just try to limit the size. First try with kilo-bytes text files before trying gigabytes video files, but anyway it should be fine :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like