A baltimore/DC meet up group

Alright, let’s try for an inaugural event at Loyola sometime in April. We can then have a planning meeting about future meetings, where they should meet and how often.

If we can find a date soon, I can write someone at Protocol Labs and see if they could give a 30-45 minutes presentations. We could then have questions and an hour long hack sessions.

What does Thursday’s look like for people. Perhaps April 13, 20, 27 or from 7-9pm?

If any of those dates work for everyone, let’s begin setting it up. We’ll need to make a meetup group and advertise.

1 Like

That sounds awesome. I should be able to attend and meet.

@jeffreycwitt I wonder if there is a decision on the date for the initial meetup.

I’m interested. I hope a meetup.com event link will be provided, once it’s available.

I didn’t make a decision, because no one chimed in for a month until the last 2 days, and thus it didn’t feel like we had a critical mass. @equalunique and @haoliangyu would you guys be able to meet Thursday the 26th or Friday the 27th. Would you come, even if it were just the three of us.
For my part I think it would be worth it. I’d love to get together and chat about work and think about ways to grow the meet up group.
If either of those days work for both of you, let me know ASAP, and I will create a meetup group today and schedule the first meeting. Perhaps with a meet group page we can attract for a few more people.
jw

Looks like our library closes at 6pm on Fridays, so I would suggest Thursday the 26th from 7-9pm, or even later if needed. Let me know ASAP if that’s still a date and time that works for you guys.

Location would be here:
Loyola Notre Dame Library
200 Winston Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21212
(410) 617-6802

I work about 80 miles south west from that location, so assuming traffic moves at a decent pace, I may be able to make it there in 2 hours on a Thursday. A Friday would be ideal though, since I am more flexible that day. I’m definitely excited for a meetup.

@jeffreycwitt

Both date looks good to me . I generally prefer evening in the day since I am not very close to the location (~1 hr drive).

@kevina @joeperks

Are you guys still interested coming? Thursday April 26th?

@equalunique would help to push the start time on Thursday back to 7:30 or even 8:00? I know its a long drive for you, but if we’re all able to get together for an initial meeting we can discuss a rotating schedule, perhaps one month at a Baltimore location another month at a more D.C. location.

I’ll set up meet up group today, and share the link.

Looks it costs a monthly fee of $9.99 to start up a meetup group. Uggh, I can’t afford that. I’ll have look into something else, maybe a google group? We can discuss the best way to advertise at our first meeting :slight_smile:

@equalunique @joeperks @kevina @haoliangyu

Alright, bad news. I’ve just found out, I have a surprise conflict on April 26th and the 27th.

We’re going to have to put this off until May. I’m really sorry. It’s the end of the academic semester here at Loyola University, and everything is overlapping.

But maybe this will give us more time to advertise.

The date in May that would work for me is Thursday May 17, same time 7:30 to 9:30, same place.

I’m checking now with the venue to see if it is available. Stay tuned.

1 Like

@jeffreycwitt

Thank you for looking into the place and the schedule. I am OK with putting off the meetup time if there is a conflict. A school at the end of the semester is a bit crazy :slight_smile:

I don’t think you need to invest into the paid plan of Meetup at the very first beginning. It may be better to start with the Google group or a Slack channel. Something free just to test the popularity and connect people. Here in DC there are several big tech Slack channels (1000+ people) and people usually build sub-channels in them for meetups and events.

1 Like

@jeffreycwitt Thursday May 17 7:30PM-9:30PM at the same place works for me. Also, I agree with @haoliangyu that Google Group would be a cool way to organize. Sorry, I did not realize that Meetup.com was a paid service! I suppose it would be a good choice, in the long run, to go with it. Until then, a free alternative seems like a better plan. I’d like to add that Riot/Matrix is a more IPFS-like alternative to Slack. :wink:

1 Like

I will make an effort to be there. 7:30 is a good start time for me.

1 Like

I made an official announcement for this event, using IPFS and IPNS!

current ipfs hash
https://gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmccuDo37eDmmWBRjJcpLJXiADnmRy7f59RWkkJQU7Jm97/

ipns home (loads very slowly): https://gateway.ipfs.io/ipns/QmbZXsh6GpQX1VEwW4cBCBcLAZRLEbmYkjcBuTMrTDEKBt/

I’ve also made a git repo for our meetup group: https://github.com/jeffreycwitt/ipfs-meetup. PR’s welcome to improve the page.

Please RSVP to me via email if you are coming (this way I can notify if there are any last minute changes to precise location or otherwise.)

As of now the Library is closed on this date, so I’ve reserved space in the Philosophy Department Seminar room. If there is a last minute room change, I’ll will announce here as well as update the official announcement page.

For precise directions the map in the official announcement.

@kevina @equalunique @haoliangyu @joeperks PEASE SPREAD THE WORD

@jeffreycwitt an announcement on IPFS is awesome! I will drop you an email for reservation.

I reposted the announcement for our intended Baltimore DC Meet Up Group here:

@kevina @equalunique @joeperks I haven’t heard from you guys. Are you still interested in coming.

1 Like

I’ll be coming with my laptop running IPFS.

Awesome, BTW I will be ordering a couple of pizzas!

@equalunique @kevina @haoliangyu I hope to see you guys at 7:30, send me an email if you get lost or can’t find the right building.