Access control

From @bronger on Thu May 26 2016 20:42:47 GMT+0000 (UTC)

How is it realised in IPFS that a certain file is only accessed by certain people? I saw UNIX-like permissions in the white paper of IPLD, but how is this enforced?

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/126

From @jcalfee on Mon Jun 20 2016 13:23:43 GMT+0000 (UTC)

You probably need to encrypt the file and use a shared secret. This probably is not the job of the IPFS system…

From @bronger on Mon Jun 20 2016 15:11:01 GMT+0000 (UTC)

In the meantime, I’ve got the impression that there are plans for more sophisticated access control in the future. But there doesn’t seem to be anything concrete yet.

Has this discussion about access control been closed or moved?

Sorry if I misunderstand some functionalities of IPFS…but I really want to figure it out and support all I can.

Would it be possible to limit the “ipfs get” command to nodes that have been approved by your peerID? In the same way as publishing an IPFS object to your peerID, one could publish or append a list of peerIDs that can execute “ipfs get” to your peerID. All other visitors can only view objects.

The use case is for a band or an artist that wants people to browse the page without being able to download the content.

I tried publishing my website with the movie files outside the main directory so as to have the index.html reference them but still be outside the folder I publish to IPNS…that didn’t work

oh…I believe I have found someone asking the same questions as me…but they actually know what is going on…