BSOD (blue screen of death) when using IPFS

Hello :wave:

For many months, I was experiencing BSOD (blue screen of death) on my computer. It was Whea_uncorrectable_error with code 124 that pointed to a hardware error.

For all these months I did everything in the manual to resolve the problem: reseating every component on the computer, making sure that all the Windows updates were available, reinstalling every driver, updating the motherboard BIOS, reinstalling Windows… everything.

As nothing really worked and the BSOD were happening more and more often, I came to think that I had to replace every component until I discovered the faulty one.

But for some reason, I had the idea of closing every program that runs on the startup, and weirdly enough, the BSOD disappeared. Of course, I tested leaving one program at a time, and my testes came down to IPFS being the source of the problem.

Since I don’t run the program, I haven’t experienced another BSOD.

I understand my experience might not be happening to anybody else and this might not be a real problem for anyone, but I just wanted to let you know that this was happening.

Sending love.

Honnestly IPFS does nothing special, it’s just a normal process doing stuff in the background.

This is likely a hardware failure that is only revealed by IPFS’s constant background load (if it is corelated at all).

Try running something like prime 95 and see if that makes your computer crash after sometime I guess ?

Really I can not overstate how boring IPFS is in that regard, it’s not like it’s doing direct memory access (DMA) networking or anything like that, from the system point of view IPFS is really just doing network connections and writing files in one of the most boring possible way (as it’s easy, safe and mostly portable).
A BSOD require an error either in ring 1 (kernel) (I belive some critical services in ring 3 maybe, not sure about that windows is weird) or an actual hardware issue. None of this is touched by IPFS.

If IPFS would have an issue like that, the system would isolate that and only the IPFS process would crash, a BSOD is only reserved for when the system itself crashes.

Hello Jorropo :wave:

Thank you for your (boring) reply :joy:

I totally understand what you say, and it makes all the sense. But over the years I have come to understand that as technical a computer is, there is always a deal of magic and uncertainty involved on it :upside_down_face:

You might be right that IPFS just reveal an underlying hardware issue, but I have been without a single BSOD for weeks, when they were happening almost four times a day when I was running IPFS.