Cloud solution for offline availabiltiy

I couldn’t think of a good title for what I’m looking to do so let me explain. I’d like to come up with a solution that is the least expensive alternative between unreliably hosting IPFS content on my home machine and a pinning service.

This would be for things that I’m not that serious about but would like them to at least be available with some reliability. For the most part my home machine is fairly reliable and I’m already paying for that so I’d like to rely on it as much as possible. What I really need is some replication so that the one or two times I’m offline for a short wile content is still available.

What I’m thinking of is an AWS instance that I can replicate to but doesn’t serve any content as long as my home machine is available and only starts providing content if my home machine goes off line. Since I won’t be adding content directly to the AWS machine it can be fairly small and if I use S3 the storage shouldn’t be too bad. I’m ok with the fixed storage cost but what I’m trying to avoid is the network IO if possible. I’m not quite sure how this would stack up against a pinning service so If someone knows what the relative pricing that would be good to know.

Good idea? Bad idea?

1 Like

Hello
I have worked on something similar with my homelab. I run Proxmox VE as a hypervisor, compute node and storage node. I wanted to do a PoC of remotely attestable forensic store that was connected to the internet but not addressable. And I didnt want to pay for a remote pinning service. This required N+2 nodes to connect together in something reminescent of a Token Ring. In fact the bootstrap server initiates and generates a security key/token that is passed to each of the futurs members. Those that received key/token connect only with each other and not internet. I made a small 3 node cluster and observed communications with another workstation running Burp suite, QUIC caddy server, TCPdump and Wireshark. Burp and Caddy are necessary to evaluate UDP streams. I could find no leakage.
However I think that a better solution for you would be to use Cloud VPS that provides a private network connection that bridges to your home network. ZeroTier One allows the creation of a virtual ethernet switch. This is VL1 and can be built upon to suit user.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) I am currently using in free-tier with some 200-300$ trial credit. They have a very cool service … Bastion host/service is a hardened jump host/server that provides a secure portal to hybrid cloud resources.
I have different objectives and constraints then you. My primary one is to not violate my Terms of Service with Xfinity ISP. ToS clearly states that I may not modify their leased hardware (ARRIS modem/router) As a residential subscriber I am prohibited to make any of my homelab publically addressable and routable. Therefore my use case and integrations are focused on minimizing or obfuscating my ISP IPLogs. I dont make anything on my homelab public and I have shifted to using Diet-Pi and Unbound for recursive DNS. I use Astro Relay Bridge to traverse my double NAT and thwart censorship of my streams.