Decentralized Wiki?

Hi! IPSF noob here!

Would I be able to build a completely decentralized Wiki using IPSF?

My goal is to create a “Wiki”-type site for sharing guitar chords. Right now all the current sites are pretty awful. Legally I don’t think I can launch it myself, but I was thinking if we built an app using IPSF (and crowd sourced the chords like a wiki) then quite possibly it wouldn’t get taken down. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

1 Like

Hi,

do you have github or just idea for the moments.

Regards

IPFS is not a good tool for avoiding legal reprecussions, it’s not anonymous (everyone can see your IP), neither is the file automatically “in the cloud”. When you put a file to IPFS is not that it’s there forever. Initially you have to share it and also later, if it doesn’t become super popular.

It’s just an idea at the moment. It could just be launching MediaWiki on IPSF, but it sounds like from @sebaseba this wouldn’t work. I’m not trying to make money off of it — just curious of a way for musicians to collaborate and share chords.

1. Is there a more anonymous way to do this?

2. I’m curious then, what’s a good use case for IPFS (is there a link to popular use cases?) I was hoping to make an IPFS app to learn more about it.

Well you have Wikipedia on IPFS, but it’s read only. The issues are described here: Uncensorable Wikipedia on IPFS | IPFS Blog & News

Making read-write or having databases on IPFS is harder. There is an experimental database using IPFS: https://github.com/orbitdb

Possibly using Tor or I2P. There is also a way of using Tor+IPFS, but I don’t know about the state of implementation.

I don’t think there is any popular implementation yet. Maybe an interesting app is OpenBazaar, a kind of decentralized eBay.

It’s good if you would have some huge datasets that you would like to share with lots of parties (for example in science). No idea what else. :slight_smile:

Yes and no: Anyone can indeed see what you’re sharing with IPFS. However they can’t easily tell if you’re seeding a website you own, or if you are only seeding parts of it because you accessed it yourself. You are thus only at a legal risk if the interest is so big they’re willing to go after anyone accessing a site, in hopes of finding the owner among every single person who’s IP addressed shared a relevant chunk.