Installing IPFS - IPFS Init Error (IPFS Command-line install)

Completely new to IPFS and struggling with the install. I have followed the guide form the IPFS docs and when returning to the home folder I receive an error suggesting IPFS isnt installed correctly.

ipfs : The term 'ipfs' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ ipfs -version
+ ~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (ipfs:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I have tried using a few suggestions from other forums but no luck. Any help would be much appreciated

That windows not be able to find the IPFS binary.

So FYI, all OS with a shell use the concept of PATH.
PATH is a list of directories and files to search programs into.

This error mean that wherever you moved IPFS into isn’t in the PATH, because your OS searched all the PATH but couldn’t find IPFS (note on some OS that error might show up if IPFS has been found but isn’t a valid executable (wrong arch, exec bit unset, …) but I don’t belive windows does that).

You can google “windows add directory to PATH” or move IPFS into a directory that is already in your PATH.

Hi,

how do I check what is and is not on my path? Is this the path in my environment variables?

Thanks for the help! Jack.

I have fixed this issue. I added the file directory to the environment variable path ran it all in command prompt instead of powershell and now it is working

1 Like