.ipfs/blocks enlarged to 2TB despite MaxStorage setting, discovering cid to ds key conversion

This is my Datastore config:

"Datastore": {
    "BloomFilterSize": 0,
    "GCPeriod": "1h",
    "HashOnRead": false,
    "Spec": {
      "mounts": [
        {
          "child": {
            "path": "blocks",
            "shardFunc": "/repo/flatfs/shard/v1/next-to-last/2",
            "sync": true,
            "type": "flatfs"
          },
          "mountpoint": "/blocks",
          "prefix": "flatfs.datastore",
          "type": "measure"
        },
        {
          "child": {
            "compression": "none",
            "path": "datastore",
            "type": "levelds"
          },
          "mountpoint": "/",
          "prefix": "leveldb.datastore",
          "type": "measure"
        }
      ],
      "type": "mount"
    },
    "StorageGCWatermark": 90,
    "StorageMax": "10GB"
  },

First question is how come blocks directory has grown to 2TB so far?

Perhaps I need to restart the daemon with
ipfs daemon --enable-gc

Or manually clean with:
ipfs repo gc

But ok, I am trying to figure out if I can use this storage as a fast cache to the files.
Then I’ve got really stuck with figuring out how can I “convert cid to ds key”.
Lets say I have this file:
.ipfs/blocks/DY/CIQA272DMOWSAP3RBQQJESHRQWMQM76EAHLAD2XUDXWRMFVKZLLPDYQ.data

I’ve found out that I could issue commands like:

ipfs dag resolve BCIQA272DMOWSAP3RBQQJESHRQWMQM76EAHLAD2XUDXWRMFVKZLLPDYQ
ipfs cid format BCIQA272DMOWSAP3RBQQJESHRQWMQM76EAHLAD2XUDXWRMFVKZLLPDYQ -v 0

Will give me cidv0 QmPFLZYMsVVCgdKwrLC1FxKRQcZHb6A3kNrzMuivJTWDfF

But couldn’t really find a command to do the reverse using Kubo ipfs tool.

Found some repositories like js-stores/packages/interface-datastore at main · ipfs/js-stores · GitHub

And an example of code to use it:

'use strict'
const base32 = require('base32.js');
import Key = require('interface-datastore').Key;
const path = require('path');

/**
 * Transform a raw buffer to a base32 encoded key.
 * @param {Buffer} rawKey
 * @returns {Key}
 */
const keyFromBuffer = (rawKey) => {
  const enc = new base32.Encoder();
  return new Key(path.sep + enc.write(rawKey).finalize(), false);
};

/**
 * Transform a raw buffer to a base32 encoded key.
 * @param {Buffer} rawKey
 * @returns {Key}
 */

const cidToDsKey = (cid) => {
  return keyFromBuffer(cid.buffer);
};

But couldn’t get it to work with a little of TypeScript experience having complains about

[ERR_PACKAGE_PATH_NOT_EXPORTED]: No “exports” main defined in ./node_modules/interface-datastore/package.json

Also, some links might be in this format:

ipfs://bafybeiao4wmudgiy32muigyaes6zs76ks5yikq56yjigaa46ksji4nhoua/11635.json

How can I convert also this ‘/11635.json’ part to get the filesystem path.
Or in this case, how do I test if the above link is present locally on the system?

I want to figure out how can I scan every block and see which cid is that and it seems to be doable with the commands I mentioned, but I would also like to have ‘/11635.json’ part from the datastore key.
And contrary from any cid link, may be just a cid in v0 or v1, or also having a sub-location like ‘/11635.json’ I want to get its local datastore key and/or a command to check if its present locally.

MaxStorage does not set any limit, it only informs the point at which GC should run when auto-gc is enabled. when enable, it will delete everything non-pinned.

Try ipfs cid format -b base32upper -f '%M' QmPFLZYMsVVCgdKwrLC1FxKRQcZHb6A3kNrzMuivJTWDfF, which does base32upper encoding on the multihash bytes of a CID.

However I’m not sure what is the point of interacting with low-level flatfs datastore. You can check if a block is present with ipfs --offline block stat <cid> too.

Because /11635.json is a named link in the original CID, you would need to decode the protobuf data referenced by the original CID, find out the CID of /11635.json and test that. Or you can ipfs --offline block stat <cid>/whatever.json which does it too.

Great, thanks, at least something is sorted.
So, the ipfs cmd for ‘Cid to Ds key’ conversion is
ipfs cid format -b base32upper -f '%M' <cid>

I have tried it with just -f %M option, so need to also specify -b base32upper, ok.

I just wanted to edit the initial message, to indicate that I have tried commands to check if a cid is present locally, but they returned an error, as it was blocked by Akismet SPAM bot…

So here is how it looks for me now:

.ipfs/blocks #  ipfs cid format -b base32upper -f '%M' QmPFLZYMsVVCgdKwrLC1FxKRQcZHb6A3kNrzMuivJTWDfF
CIQA272DMOWSAP3RBQQJESHRQWMQM76EAHLAD2XUDXWRMFVKZLLPDYQ
.ipfs/blocks #  ll DY/CIQA272DMOWSAP3RBQQJESHRQWMQM76EAHLAD2XUDXWRMFVKZLLPDYQ.data 
-rw------- 1 root root 585 Jan  5 03:17 DY/CIQA272DMOWSAP3RBQQJESHRQWMQM76EAHLAD2XUDXWRMFVKZLLPDYQ.data
.ipfs/blocks #   ipfs --offline block stat QmPFLZYMsVVCgdKwrLC1FxKRQcZHb6A3kNrzMuivJTWDfF
Error: block was not found locally (offline): ipld: could not find QmPFLZYMsVVCgdKwrLC1FxKRQcZHb6A3kNrzMuivJTWDfF

And I still do not understand the ‘/whatever.json’ case as on local filesystem its always CIQWHATEVER.data

I can’t explain that, unless ipfs daemon is running with a different, non-root user or something, and reading from a datastore in a different location.

<cid>/whatever.json resolves to a single CID. You need to resolve the path first and then you have the cid of the corresponding block.

I have found that the issue was that IPFS_PATH was not set so it was looking into ~/.ipfs.