IPFS-GUI metrics changes in progress

Hi all,

I am posting to inform you of changes the IPFS Ignite (IPFS GUI & Tools) team is doing regarding metrics collection across our projects.

You can read more at Define basic metrics and patterns for consent & collection. · Issue #125 · ipfs/ipfs-gui · GitHub, but the summary is that we will start collecting some basic metrics by default for our projects, which will be opt-out.

NOTE: These metrics will not track IPFS usage, CIDs, or other non-app-specific usage metrics.

1. Collect necessary metrics by default. These will be enabled when using our projects moving forward. i.e. you cannot opt-out of these metrics. However, We are doing our best to ensure that these necessary metrics are the minimum required for us to prioritize work on our projects.
  2. Do not collect any other metrics by default. In each app, prompt users, upon metrics change, to accept to decline the additional metrics.
  3. Provide a way for users to opt-in or opt-out of non-necessary metrics at any time (via settings pages or other)
  4. Ensure any existing apps have a very obvious banner for existing users to be informed of the following:
    • Change of metrics collection policies
    • Consent banner to accept/decline non-necessary metrics
    • Note that we may not be able to discern new users from existing users, so we may need a single consent banner that accomplishes both of the above bullet items.

Please post any comments, questions, or concerns on Define basic metrics and patterns for consent & collection. · Issue #125 · ipfs/ipfs-gui · GitHub or in response to this post.

I am not as responsive on discuss.ipfs.tech as I am on github, but will do my best to respond promptly to any comments posted on this thread.

FYI that the data sent when accepting/declining is documented at Provide example snippet of data sent to our `countly.ipfs.io` endpoint for necessary features · Issue #130 · ipfs/ipfs-gui · GitHub now. Note that

1. Metrics are not currently(this will be changing according to Define basic metrics and patterns for consent & collection. · Issue #125 · ipfs/ipfs-gui · GitHub) sent until you accept/decline
  2. the “decline” choice currently sets necessary metrics as accepted. This will be the default behavior moving forward. (i.e. as soon as you use one of our apps, “necessary” consent is given)

Just an update that @lidel posted some great feedback at Define basic metrics and patterns for consent & collection. · Issue #125 · ipfs/ipfs-gui · GitHub and I’ve posted a response at Define basic metrics and patterns for consent & collection. · Issue #125 · ipfs/ipfs-gui · GitHub and updated the issue description.

We will be allowing opt-out of necessary metrics, but they will be enabled by default. All metrics will be

• “opt-out” – enabled by default, you must disable if you wish

Not

• “always-on” – enabled by default, and you cannot disable.
1 Like

FYI that a summary of the current/prior state, and planned changes has been started at https://pl-strflt.notion.site/Telemetry-b005d4f217f44db3986902c67d922cf4. We will attempt to include links to all discussions, github issues, pull requests, in that document.

Note that a PR is out that is finalizing documentation and updates from discussion with legal and our teams internally regarding our telemetry policy, what data is collected, the names for groups of metric features, etc. If you want a say in what is being done, please browse feat: add telemetry documentation by SgtPooki · Pull Request #35 · ipfs-shipyard/ignite-metrics · GitHub and provide your input.

Note that telemetry documentation has been solidified and merged into the ignite-metrics library. Check it out at ignite-metrics/docs/telemetry at main · ipfs-shipyard/ignite-metrics · GitHub