As part of a revamp we’re doing to the way we look at metrics for the IPFS Network, I’d like to open the discussion on what KPIs would be useful to report for developers and the wider community. The list of metrics we’re converging towards as KPIs are listed below. Please feel free to add comments to the list or suggest new ones that we can work towards.
- Overall number of unique peers seen in the network (currently by PL-operated bootstrapper nodes)
Unique number of DHT Server nodes
- PeerIDs and Unique IP Addresses seen
Unique number of DHT Client nodes
Stability of DHT Server nodes
Online: > 80% of time seen online.
Mostly Online: 40% < x < 80% of time seen online
Mostly Offline: 10% < x < 40% of time seen online
Offline: < 10% of time seen online.
- DHT Lookup Latency - random content
- Time to First Provider Record
- Latency to load sample websites through browser (using PL websites for now)
- Future: e2e performance - random content
- Number of requests to the public, PL-operated IPFS Gateways
- Future: Number of provider records published to the network
- Future: Number of requests to specific vantage points we control through Bitswap and through the DHT.
[Reported when needed]
- Increased number of rotating PeerIDs
- Increased number of unresponsive nodes
- Increased number of nodes from some geographic location
- Github Activity in IPFS related Github Orgs
- Github Activity in ipfs/specs