IPFS Radio Station

Has anybody tried to create an internet radio station using IPFS? For example, it would have hour long sessions, with a few music tracks played and in between some talk from the DJ. No need for video, though having some cover art during the songs might be sweet.

Perhaps there is some Free Software which would help you put the tracks together onto IPFS. Maybe it could help generate a play list, so you could see which songs were being played at any given time during the show. It would co-ordinate the different shows too, and show the schedule for the day/week…

2 Likes

I’m also interested and trying to do this although I have no idea yet on where to start.

There is some Free Software to help, but it hasn’t been written with IPFS in mind. It is called LibreTime:
https://libretime.org/

Are you talking about a radio station with live broadcast or just a playlist channel aka jukebox like many of those “online radios”? Both can be archived with IPFS, just with wildly different architectures.

If you wanna use LibreTime, you may need a programme that acts as an intermediary to “translate” HTTP stream generated by the embedded Icecast into chunks that can be stored into IPFS and update an index file. I think the design of HTTP Live Streaming can be imitated for this purpose.

1 Like

hI qazwsxedcrfv000, I’m currently using icecast on a local server which also hosts the site containing the stream. The goal is to create a shared community radio, where streams and recorded episodes are distrubuted across nodes.

The reason I want to use IPFS is to overcome the problem of relying on a single server.

I’m very new to IPFS and I need to study more. Your idea seems interesting to me but I don’t even know where to start at the moment.

1 Like

This article serves as a good starting point: Streaming with IPFS. Static and Live Videos streaming with… | by Sagar Ganiga | REVOtic | Medium

Although the stream mentioned is a video one, the same downstream architecture for conversion into HLS and adding into IPFS should work with an audio stream.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve built tools to do live streaming on IPFS.

I’ve not tested audio only streams but it should work.

2 Likes

@SionoiS do you consider the use case of “streaming” (read: real-time encoded publication) as a separate technical usage or would it (in your opinion) be possible to make an incremental HLS / MPEG-DASH implementation where the end result (after streaming) is a persistently stored publication?

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand your question.

Currently you can live stream and save the stream to view later.

edit: also it is not HLS or DASH I’m using IPLD for metadata

I just send you an email on your hotmail address. Would love to have a chat.

where does audius fit in to this conversation?

Audius is a music streaming protocol. I don’t think it’s made to work like a radio. The $$$ model is very different.

i agree their perspective on finance seems… centralized :wink:

that said i guess the point is that you’re either looking at adding decentralization to a product like libretime or building a different financial model on top of a protocol like audius

the latter seems easier… but hard to say

I just read Libretime docs and it would be very easy to make it compatible with my tech.

As for the $$$ I don’t know…

https://libretime.org/docs/playout-history
looks like there is API we can query against to handle royalty disbursements by amount of time played… seems sufficient for our needs?

how / where would you inject your streaming tools?

fwiw this is our project page Cville DAO for locally crafted NFTs | Code for Charlottesville = just getting started :slight_smile:

The easiest way would be to plug the output of Libretime to FFPEG for chunking then pipe the output to my daemon OR build a Icecast/Shoutcast input emulator into my daemon.

Cool project! I really like NFTs applied to content creation. I made some prototype smart contracts for NFTs merging that would allow artists to sell stems (voice, bass, guitar, etc…) that are redeemable for song when collected. You could also collect songs into albums.

1 Like

what a trip - yeah - i think there’s some exciting options… unic.ly does some neat stuff in that space

we still need some guidance developing the underlying DAO approach… would enjoy your perspective there = anson@virginia.edu is my email, would certainly enjoy hearing from you

have you heard about livepeer ?

a DJ platform is using it

Livepeer is great but it’s a decentralized market for transcoding video. It doesn’t serve content as far as I know that why you need IPFS.

I talked with the guys at Livepeer and will integrate their tech in my project at some point.

1 Like