IPFS Subsystems & Architecture

This is on the launchpad curriculum site. IPFS Subsystems & Architecture/ipfs-cluster - Launchpad (pl-launchpad.io)

IPFS Cluster is a distributed application that works as a sidecar to IPFS peers, maintaining a global cluster pinset and intelligently allocating its items to the IPFS peers. IPFS Cluster powers large IPFS storage services like nft.storage and web3.storage

As I understand it, web3.storage and nft.storage use Elastic IPFS instead of IPFS-cluster. So would the last sentence be incorrect/out-of-date now?

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure, I think they might use IPFS Cluster as well as Elastic IPFS … but someone more familiar would know better.

NFT.storage and web3.storage still use IPFS cluster (currently only for pinning requests as added content goes directly to S3/R2). (Funny that you ask, because precisely today NFT.storage stopped uploading to IPFS and fully relies on S3/R2).

There’s still content that is only stored and provided from IPFS clusters and it will be so for a while (iirc).

In any case both platforms are moving to a fully cloud-native architecture and phasing out the IPFS clusters. IPFS cluster helped them get there, and they helped IPFS cluster be where it is (we recently crossed 100M pins in one), so it’s been a win-win.

3 Likes

Ahh okay sweet! Thank you for a great answer. Okay so then the current language is misleading. What would be a good way to put the current state of things? @hector

1 Like

You could replace “powers” by “is used” ? Or you can say “is used by nft.storage along other storage services like Filecoin and R2”.

1 Like