Is there any doc on IPFS file replication, how it avoid single point failture?

When I upload a big file to ipfs, how it is replicated in other nodes, when it replicated, whether it cached or not ? How many backups in other node, is it chunked in different nodes? How can i step into the process?

in your node you can use that :

• ipfs cat <your_hash>
  • ipfs pin <your_hash>

regards

The quick answer is that IPFS doesn’t have any automatic replication by default. If I add a to my local machine it gets indexed on my local machine and I get back a hash pointing at that file. The data ONLY exists locally.

Another IPFS user on the internet could use my hash to retrieve my content and the data would be transferred directly from my machine to theirs. At this point, the data exists in 2 places and new users could fetch it from either location. IPFS is like a browser cache, it contains the things you have been looking at most recently and older things might be deleted. (pinning can optionally be used to keep your local node from deleting something)

In the future, Filecoin can be used on top of IPFS to hire a group of IPFS users to fetch your content and replicate it. This won’t be needed for popular public content since that will get replicated anyway, but if you wanted to store backups on IPFS you could need some way to induce other machines to store your data.

You should also look at ipfs-cluster.

This old thread that got migrated from github to discourse might give you some ideas too: Replication on IPFS -- Or, the Backing-Up Content Model

Thanks,you help me a lot!

Thanks, i will look for the solution for file replication

FYI, at the moment, you can use pinning services. That is, you can pay third parties to “pin” content you want replicated. However, this process is:

(a) Manual. There’s no way to say “replicate everything”.
(b) Trusted. There’s no guarantee that the party you’re paying won’t lose your data.

is there no automatic way to pin file from other node? even ipfs-cluster?

IPFS cluster is designed to distribute file storage within a centrally managed cluster (where most of the nodes are assumed to be available most of the time). It’s not really designed for the use-case of “hey random person on the internet, please store my file” which is how I interpreted OPs question.

really,but the Doc of ipfs-cluster says it is a good way to pin file from friend node…
but now I cant achieve it,because the node is always pinning but cant pinned…unless I restart the ipfs-cluster

really,but the Doc of ipfs-cluster says it is a good way to pin file from friend node…

It is. That is, you can get a group of mutually trusting friends together and setup an ipfs-cluster cluster. However you have to explicitly work together to do this.

but now I cant achieve it,because the node is always pinning but cant pinned…unless I restart the ipfs-cluster

Please, do not hijack threads like this. You already have a thread, don’t take over someone else’s.