NKN and IPFS, that's a real possibility now!

Hi,

Just a little disclaimer. This is only a “heads up, this might become interesting” kind of post. I’m not working on anything like this. Yet. It does have my interest though :slight_smile:

What is NKN, you might be asking? Here’s their summary:

NKN is the new kind of P2P network connectivity protocol & ecosystem powered by a novel public blockchain. We use economic incentives to motivate Internet users to share network connection and utilize unused bandwidth. NKN’s open, efficient, and robust networking infrastructure enables application developers to build the decentralized Internet so everyone can enjoy secure, low cost, and universally accessible connectivity.

I just found out that you can add up to 100 bytes of arbitrary data to NKN transactions. This means that you can make a NKN transaction and put an IPFS hash in it as payload! This will be vastly easier then storing it in etherium. That is, if you only need a “simple” blockchain without smart contracts. If you have a need for that or are already using etherium then this is probably not worth it.

So, how can you set that 100 bytes of data?
In each “transaction” function (a function that is going to put something on the actual blockchain) you can now specify a .attr = “your 100 bytes”. The function to use it is still undocumented. It is there in the source and is used quite a lot on the chain itself.

Just imagine what you can do when combining NKN + IPFS. NKN would be the fast network access (with it’s millisecond pub/sub mechanism) and serve as ledger. IPFS would be the data storage. This could become a powerful combination!

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like