Trying to get go-ipfs to work as backend storage for app

I am simply stuck at the initial stage of installation. I tried this guide here - and no help I was faced with dependencies errors and as a result makefile errors.

I also tried to install from the go-ds-s3 readme: GitHub - ipfs/go-ds-s3: An s3 datastore implementation
and here I was faced again with dependency issues. As you can see below make build command fails with a dependency issue:

:~/go-ipfs$ make build
go: finding module for package github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p/p2p/discovery/mdns_legacy
go: finding module for package github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p-core/mux
go version go1.18.6 linux/amd64
bin/check_go_version 1.18
plugin/loader/preload.sh > plugin/loader/preload.go
go fmt plugin/loader/preload.go >/dev/null
go: finding module for package github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p/p2p/discovery/mdns_legacy
go build “-trimpath” -ldflags="-X "github.com/ipfs/kubo".CurrentCommit=b6b97d90a-dirty" -o “cmd/ipfs/ipfs” “github.com/ipfs/kubo/cmd/ipfs
…/go/pkg/mod/github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs@v0.11.0-rc1/core/node/libp2p/smux.go:10:2: module github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p-core@latest found (v0.20.1), but does not contain package github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p-core/mux
…/go/pkg/mod/github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs@v0.11.0-rc1/core/node/libp2p/discovery.go:10:2: module github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p@latest found (v0.23.0), but does not contain package github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p/p2p/discovery/mdns_legacy
make: *** [cmd/ipfs/Rules.mk:22: cmd/ipfs/ipfs] Error 1

github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p-core is deprecated and suggests migrating to github.com/libp2p/go-libp2p

ok but this isn’t specified in the documentation nor does it specify how to do this. I am wondering what the point of this repo is? Since I am able to install IPFS without doing these extra steps and dealing with go dependencies

It seems go-ds-s3 is not compatible with the go-ipfs version that you are building it with.

Try with go get github.com/ipfs/go-ds-s3/plugin@6cfd4e8433d84025e6f87a3301b2dfa470684f7e from Update so it works with Kubo v0.16.0-rc1 by hsanjuan · Pull Request #237 · ipfs/go-ds-s3 · GitHub instead. That should work with the just released v0.16.0-rc1.