How/where are Merkle Proofs used in IPFS/IPLD?

I understand that once given a merkle root, a value and a path to that value, you can verify that that particular value exists within the merkle tree identified by itā€™s specific merkle root.

What Iā€™m failing to see is how merkle trees/DAGs are used/created/stored in IPFS, e.g.:

If I choose the CID for a blob Iā€™m storing (say, an Ethereum block), I can resolve the blob into memory and start traversing links. However, those links are in ā€œresolver spaceā€ as opposed to ā€œIPFS storage spaceā€, that is, these links arenā€™t stored as links in the blob, but I can represent them as links and can traverse and pull blobs with linked CIDs from IPFS.

Likewise, if I store raw JSON (containing merkle-links) with the dag-cbor multicodec:

• am I just encoding JSON as CBOR and storing a raw CBOR blob in IPFS?
  • Or are there merkle-links created within the blob when itā€™s encoded from the raw JSON? Does the graph builder library do something similar to this?
  • If so, how are these links used and stored (beyond traversing them with an IPLD resolver)?
  • Furthermore, if they are stored in a particular way (distinct from just a regular CBOR blob), are there proofs that are/can be constructed to prove a value exists within a dag-cbor object?

Hope some of that made sense!

For context: my goal is to use merkle proofs as a way of returning only some parts of an IPLD object while proving they exist within the IPLD DAG as identified by itā€™s CID. I suspect that IPFS allows this already or that this behaviour is a part of the IPLD spec, but canā€™t find any good information anywhere.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.

Youā€™d want to store the block directly in IPLD and not in IPFS, then youā€™d be in the same ā€œresolver spaceā€.

I guess you talk about storing it in the DAG, i.e. IPLD. My answers take that a as basis.

Yes.

The links would already be within your original JSON.

As they are part of your original JSON they are just encoded as part of it.

I hope that sheds a bit of light into all this.