I’m using the latest Vivaldi browser. Just installed (Chrome’s) IPFS companion extension in it, as well as the IPFS desktop program (latest version). It’s working, all right, but the problem is that the companion is often making the browser extremely slow (as in, it doesn’t load anything at all for many long seconds). I noticed that when that’s happening, if I click in the extension’s icon, it doesn’t show anything. Then when the browser resumes loading, the Companion’s settings pop-up appears… If I disable all IPFS integrations, the browser works fine. If I exclude a website from it, the website works fine.
I’m using up-to-date Windows 10 in a reasonably fast machine with several GBs of RAM available, and little CPU usage.
FWIW I tried disabling all my other vivaldi extensions, just in case it was a matter of a conflict between them, but it didn’t help.
This will likely depend on your IPFS Companion settings. As you have IPFS Desktop installed, you’ll likely want your node type set to “External”. If it’s slow on random non-IPFS pages, then perhaps disabling things like DNSLink Lookup Policy would help.
If it’s slow on IPFS related pages, it’s likely an issue with finding the content, where the gateway you’re using likely has a peer with the data or a cache.
I have the same issue using Brave when browsing normal websites (not IPFS sites) with the IPFS Companion extension enabled. I find I have to keep the extension disabled most of the time unless I really need to browse IPFS. The issue is intermittent, where sometimes browsing will be fine and other times loading a webpage will get stuck for several seconds or longer. I think the browser dev tools says it gets stuck in queuing IIRC.
It sounds just like these others posts/issues although I think some people are missing the fact that the issue occurs when browsing non-IPFS sites: