Should i use mobile as a node?

Can i use mobile device as a node? If so how do i install ipfs on mobile? Is there any limitations/drawbacks?

I would start by researching how to run NodeJS on the mobile device, and you conclude that works, then theoretically IPFS can also work, but also there’s IPFS Companion too:

2 Likes

On android you can use apps like termux to run a terminal emultor. If there’s a go build for your phone’s cpu architecture then it’s a simple as download the apropriate release binary, init your repo and run the daemon.
I recomend using the low power config profile however.
Some samsung devices can even sideload a whole linux distro, so it should be very easy from there.
If you’ve an apple device I think you might be out of luck

1 Like

Not sure how technical you are trying to get, if you are developing a custom solution, you can likely disregard this suggestion.

If you just want to experiment with the functionality of IPFS on mobile, I’m currently beta testing an app (IPFS Lite) created by @remmerw that seeks to emulate the ipfs-desktop experience on Android.

So far, it seems to be considerably effective at doing so. IPFS Lite is, to my knowledge, the only “purist” mobile app of its kind.

Here is the developer’s own post detailing the app’s release last year.

2 Likes