Bootstrap error creating REST API component

Hello there,

Iโ€™m a newbie to IPFS and IPFS-Cluster. :slight_smile:

My goal is to create an IPFS-Cluster out of two peers with EC2 instances. I managed to get the instances running, install ipfs, ipfs-cluster-service and ipfs-cluster-ctl with the help of IPFS Cluster Peer Installer for EC2.

I keep getting the following error when I bootstrap the second node to the first:
ipfs-cluster-service daemon โ€” bootstrap <multiaddress> error creating REST API component: listen tcp4 127.0.0.1:9094: bind: address already in use

Does anybody have a clue about what Iโ€™m doing wrong or forgot to do?
Is there any way to shutdown IPFS-Cluster completely?
Of course I can provide further information if needed!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @Anneka ,

This message says that someone else (a different process or another ipfs-cluster-service) is already running on that port.

If you follow the script you mention to the letter, you ran sudo systemctl start ipfs-cluster and that will effectively run a deamon (except it will likely not have bootstrapped to the other peer) . You will need to stop that, sudo -i -u ec2-user ipfs-cluster-service daemon --bootstrap <multiaddress>, check that everything looks good, ctrl-c and then start the systemd service again. This time, it will launch an already bootstrapped peer and the cluster should work.

Note that you will need to update the cluster versions on the script to install the latest ones (itโ€™s a bit outdated).

Hope this helps!

Hi @hector,

It works fine - thank you for your help!!